The leader in embedded Linux commercialization
MontaVista Software is the leader in embedded Linux commercialization. We help you get the most of open source by providing commercial quality Linux and developer tools that significantly reduce the time and effort required to deliver commercial products to market. Combine that with our expert support, hardware enablement, and the resources of the MontaVista community and you can see why there are over 50 million devices in the market today running on MontaVista Linux.
MontaVista Software was founded by Jim Ready in 1999. Jim was the developer of the first commercially viable, real-time operating system, the VRTX kernel. He founded Ready Systems in 1980, and then in 1999 founded MontaVista Software to bring the Linux operating system to the embedded device market. From the beginning, Jim said he wanted to make it "100% Pure Linux" under the GNU General Public License (GPL). MontaVista delivered their first commercial Linux for the embedded market in 1999 and hasn't looked back since. Today over 2000 companies trust MontaVista Linux to run their products.
- 1999 - MontaVista Software founded
- 1999 - Preemptible Kernel released
- 2000 - Hard Hat Linux introduced
- 2002 - First Carrier Grade Edition
- 2002 - First Pro Edition
- 2003 - Consumer Electronics Edition
- 2003 - Power Management
- 2004 - DevRocket IDE introduced
- 2005 - Mobilinux Introduced
- 2007 - 5.x product releases
- 2009 - MontaVista Linux 6 released
- 2009 - MontaVista achieves 1 second fast boot
- 2009 - MontaVista celebrates 10 years
- 2009 – MontaVista acquired by Cavium Networks
MontaVista Software is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cavium Networks (NASDAQ: CAVM).
MontaVista’s open source leadership
Linux is an open source platform. A Linux software provider who is not heavily involved in the open source community can’t meet your needs. Not all companies are committed full-time to Linux. Their main business may be processors or proprietary software, and they only provide Linux to power their other products. MontaVista is committed to supporting Linux and the open source community. We have the Linux expertise you require, and know how to effectively work within the open source community.
No embedded software company has done more to lead the open source community than MontaVista:
- A consistent top 20 contributor to the mainline Linux kernel for several years in a row
- Has contributed more lines of source code to the Linux kernel then all other embedded Linux companies combined
- Active contributor or maintainer of key areas of Linux inside and outside the kernel, plus other kernel trees and communities
- Member, sponsor, co-founder, director, board member, or chair of more than 20 open source organizations
MontaVista has also spun-off independent open-source projects based on a number of its features, including dynamic power management, high-resolution POSIX timers, the pramfs file system, and the openais implementation of the SA Forum's Application Interface Specification.
We help you get the most out of open source
Embedded Linux is the most-often-selected software platform for developing new devices. MontaVista's mission is to help device designers and embedded application developers get the most out of Linux and other open source software. By doing so, we help you get to market more quickly, create the features you need to be competitive, and significantly reduce your overall project costs. Find out more about our commitment to open source here.
At MontaVista, we don’t sell free software. We supply what is missing from open source, so you don’t have to.