Multi Architecture – Carrier Grade Linux
A CGL compliant, high performance, high availability carrier grade Linux designed for next generation multi-core network architectures. MontaVista Linux Carrier Grade Edition provides a configurable Linux solution, real-time performance and 4G and LTE wireless network support along with the high availability and servicability Network Equipment Providers (NEPs) and Telecommunications carriers require.
As the leader in Linux commercialization, MontaVista is committed to supporting emerging and existing standards.
MontaVista is an active participant in the specification process for Carrier Grade Linux, a carrier grade specification promoted by The Linux Foundation (formerly OSDL). MontaVista carrier grade products maintain compliance with the CGL specifications, and a MontaVista representative serves as Chairman of the CGL workgroup.
Another important body is the SCOPE Alliance, a consortium of network equipment vendors founded by Siemens, Alcatel, Ericsson, Motorola, NEC, and Nokia whose mission is to accelerate deployment of open standards-based carrier grade platforms. Montavista Linux CGE is also compliant with the SCOPE Alliances' Linux Profile 1.1.
MontaVista's CGE product remains the only carrier grade Linux product to be compliant with the Carrier Grade Linux, IPv6, and Linux Standard Base certifications
Enabling technologies for telecommunications providers:
- The Leading Linux on ATCA-based hardware
- PICMG feature support, including hot swap, switched Ethernet, and IPMI support
- A fully preemptive kernel and other Real-Time enhancements that result in performance 200 times more responsive than standard Linux kernel
- Event logging features which allow application programs to receive and act on events from the kernel, other applications, and drivers
- Resource monitoring subsystem with APIs for tracking critical system resource usage
- High performance Linux networking subsystem, capable of delivering data at wire speeds with most CPUs
- High availability and serviceability features enabling up to six '9s' of availability
NEPs and Telecom companies demand high performance and reliability from their systems. When problems occur they need to be able to quickly determine the cause of the problem, and solve it without bringing a system down.
MontaVista is the only carrier grade Linux provider that gives you the capability to install run-time patches to a live system without shutting it down or rebooting. This helps us achieve our unprecedented 99.9999% availability. In the event of a rare shutdown or system failure, the Flight Recorder feature provides a complete history of all activities, helping you quickly determine the cause of the failure, preventing re-occurrence.
- RTAP - Real-time application patching used to apply bug-fixes in real-time. Application is not stopped and is running all time. Only proviso is function being patched can not be called while update is happing.
- FSAD - Field safe application debugger a non-instrusive de-bugger, attach a set of commands to a function and collect data about the code by monitoring and recording each time function is used and fix problems by analyzing details collected. All done while running application/function, real-time in field. Then you use RTAP.
- KSplice - live patching of kernel same as RTAP but for Kernel. Patch while system is active.
Carrier grade applications demand high availability. In the past this required proprietary hardware, operating systems, and middleware. Today open source and COTS hardware provide the same capabilities at a much lower overall cost. The emergence of open source projects such as OpenSAF have also helped companies move from proprietary middlware to open source solutions.
MontaVista remains committed to supporting the SAForum specifications and OpenSAF, contributing to key projects such as AIS and HPI. We also have full integration of the OpenSAF high availability middleware with our carrier grade product, consistent with Service Availability™ Forum specifications, allowing our customers to leverage the full power of open source.